30 Day Conlang End of Month Wrap Up- We need more tools

As usual I didn’t actually move the project forward most days of the month. In the time gaps I had, I could generate phonetic inventory, phonotactics, a dictionary, but not a grammar. I also wasn’t able to memorize the 500 words I created. Tasks for which I could readily find tools, moved forward quickly. Everything else stalled. In my opinion, by necessity, a successful 30 day conlang is a mostly machine generated one–or else it is a very partial one.

I wrote a gloss generator for toki pona. This is something, if generalized, would be invaluable for conlang creation. When you aren’t competent in a language, it’s really the glosses that are being understood, both by the audience and the conlang creator.

I also got distracted and create a lorem ipsum generator for toki pona, which if generalized would be an invaluable tool for creating a simple language. My lorem ipsum generator shows the upper bounds for how complex a sentence can really get. Plus, it allows being able to see how the language will sound long before one becomes competent.

The other tool I really need is better dictionary making software. Ideally, a dictionary would generate flashcard software and a searchable dictionary at the same time.

I probably will continue this project as the “conlang generation tools” project. Maybe next November, I’ll be able to complete this conlang.

This entry was posted in 30DayConlang. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.